Born on March 31, 1858 in Verona and died in the same city on May 18, 1942. From 1873, on the advice of the sculptor Ugo Zannoni, he began to regularly attend the Cignaroli Academy directed by Napoleone Nanni. Already in that year he distinguished himself with the Portrait of his father. Here he has Alessandro Milesi as his classmate, with whom he shares the annual prizes awarded in 1873 and 1874 equally. In 1876 he goes together with Milesi to the Academy of Venice, where he comes into contact with Giacomo Favretto, his teacher and friend, which directs him towards a new realist direction, as demonstrated by Le due orfanelle (1877). In 1876 he participated for the first time in the Exhibition of the Society of Fine Arts in Verona, where he exhibited regularly until 1892. In 1880 he participated in the Brera Exhibition and the following year in the National Exhibition in Milan, where he exhibited Lavatoio , Sotto zero, Lattivandolo, Coti i boni (private collection). In 1882 he went to Rome where he entered into a relationship with the artistic-literary environment of the Byzantine Chronicle magazine (among others, Gabriele D'Annunzio, Giosuè Carducci and Francesco Paolo Michetti). In Rome he is presented to Queen Margherita, who commissions several works from him. Some photographic experiments date back to this same period, testified by a corpus of about 600 plates (Verona, Castelvecchio Museum) whose subjects are closely related to those of the paintings, especially as regards the realism of his genre painting, oriented towards less stately aspects of his hometown, such as the daily practice of itinerant crafts, and the interest in the female figure. In addition to these themes, he dedicates himself to the poetic visions of Lake Garda. In 1883 he participated in the International Exhibition of Fine Arts in Rome, in 1884 at the National Exhibition of Turin, with Viaticum (Milan, Gallery of Modern Art) and Caught in flagrante (Rome, National Gallery of Modern Art); in the same year he won first prize at the Barcelona International. In 1886 he held a personal exhibition in Vienna, exhibited in Antwerp and the painting Ave Maria (Milan, Galleria d’Arte Moderna) was awarded the Prince Umberto prize. The following year he was appointed associate of the Cignaroli Academy of Fine Arts and of the Society of Fine Arts of Verona. In 1891 he held a personal exhibition in Berlin and, from 1887 to 1912, participated in the Venice Biennale; in the 1912 edition a personal exhibition with eighty-three works is dedicated to him. Until the early twentieth century he continued to exhibit, as well as in Italy, also abroad, taking part in the 1893 Chicago World Exposition, the 1900 Paris Universal Exposition, where the painting The love of souls was awarded with the gold medal, and at the Berlin International Exhibition of the same year with souls acquitted. In 1901 he exhibited fifty-six works in Budapest and in 1903 he received an invitation to the St. Louis Exhibition. In 1908 he returned to exhibit in his hometown after eighteen years of absence on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the foundation of the Society of Fine Arts; on this occasion the aforementioned painting Gli amori delle anime is purchased by the Municipality of Verona. Also from 1912 are Porto di Torri and Vela bianca (Venice, International Gallery of Modern Art) and her participation in the Munich Portrait Exhibition with the portraits of the Mother (1905, Milan, Gallery of Modern Art), of the Countess X and by Garibaldi and Mazzini, the latter both in the collection of the former Risorgimento Museum of the Verona Museum and Monuments Directorate. Shortly before his death, he leaves his proceeds to the construction of the Dall 'Oca Village in favor of the city's poor and the rest of his assets to the Municipality of Verona.