Born on 6 January 1874 in Montefiore dell’Aso, in the Province of Ascoli Piceno. In 1888 he enrolled at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna. Having obtained his diploma, from 1892 to 1895 he attended the painting decoration school of the Industrial Art Museum of Rome with a scholarship, under the guidance of Domenico Bruschi and Alessandro Morani. In 1893 he received the first prize at the final essay of the Royal Institute of Fine Arts in Rome. He met Nino Costa and attended the cenacle "In arte libertas", which he founded in 1886, exhibiting there annually from 1897 to 1901. Some small landscape and figure paintings in oil, tempera, watercolor or technique are from this period symbolically evocative mixed with a fifteenth-century and pre-Raphaelite tone, such as the Landscape with the river (1892), Mandorli (1895), Le ginestre (1896), La donna della fontana (1898), presented at the III Venice Biennale of 1899, Portrait of Lina De Carolis (1899), The blue angel among the cypresses (1899), Laudata be for the beautiful light you awaken on earth, with which he obtained the first prize in the Fratelli Alinari competition of 1899-1900, Concerto (1901) and Verba ad Pictorem Amateuris (1903), exhibited respectively at the IV and V Venice Biennale, Primavera (1903), sent the following year to America at the Universal Exposition of Saint Louis, Tramonto (1905), the variations on the theme of the Danaids and Le Castalidi (1905, Rome, National Gallery of Art and Modern). He returns to exhibit at the Venice Biennale in 1909 (Men and horses) and in 1922 (L 'Aurora). In 1897 he began the fresco decoration of the Villa Brancadoro in San Benedetto del Tronto, finished in 1904. In 1900-1902 he took part in the Fratelli Alinari competition for a new illustrated edition of the Divine Comedy. In 1900 the Academy of Fine Arts of Perugia appointed him academic of merit and, the following year, that of Florence assigned him the chair of ornamentation. A vast production of illustrator of literary and artistic magazines begins (Leonardo, Il Regno, Hermes, L’Eroica, Xylography, Illustrated Marche magazine, Ebe, Novissima, Mago, L’Almanacco Italiano) and posters (for the magazine Marzocco in 1900 , for the VIII Venice Biennale in 1909, for the Horse Exhibition Fair in 1910 and for the Turin Industrial Exhibition in 1911). He establishes a relationship of friendship and collaboration with Gabriele D''Annunzio, Giovanni Pascoli and other writers, for whom he creates graphic illustrations (by Pascoli: Mirabile vision, 1901; Myricae and I Canti di Castelvecchio, 1903; Primi Poemetti and Poemi Conviviali , 1904; Odes and hymns, 1906; New poems, 1909; Carmina, 1914; Italic poems and the Songs of King Enzio, 1920; by D'Annunzio: Francesca da Rimini, 1902; The Daughter of Jorio, 1904; The torch below the bushel, 1905; Laudi, 1908-1912; Freda, 1909; Notturno, 1917; by Corrado Govoni: Le Fiale, 1903; by Marino Moretti, The serenade of mosquitoes, 1908; for the Zanichelli publisher, since 1921, Poeti Greci series, translated by Ettore Romagnoli, and the Fioretti di San Francesco, 1926). In 1903 he exhibited in a personal exhibition at the Florence promoting society of fine arts. The following year he took part in the exhibition of the Tuscan artistic group of the "Young Etruria" in Florence and in 1905 he exhibited at the first Tuscan art exhibition in the rooms of the Florentine Promoter. From this year are The Bridge of Laborious Hours and the frescoes for the Regis de Oliveira villa in Rome (destroyed). In 1907, in addition to decorating a building in via Nardi in Florence, he began the decorations of the hall of the Provincial Council of Ascoli Piceno, completed in 1909. In 1908 he won the competition for the completion and decoration project of the Salone dei Quattrocento in the Palazzo del Podestà of Bologna, a job that committed him until his death. In 1912 he promoted the International Woodcut Exhibition of Levanto with the participation of Austria, Belgium, France and England and in 1914 he participated in the International Exhibition of Book and Graphic Art in Leipzig. In 1915 he was appointed holder of the Chair of Decoration of the Brera Academy in Milan; two years later he teaches at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna. Between 1916 and 1920 are the decorations of the Aula Magna of the University of Pisa (lost); in 1921 those of the facade of the Palazzetto Veneto in Ravenna (lost) and between 1922 and 1924 those of the Provincial Council Room in Arezzo. In 1920 he received a Diploma of Merit at the National Sacred Art Exhibition in Venice. In 1922 he moved to Rome to teach scenography and then decoration at the Academy of Fine Arts. In 1923 he was appointed Insigne Academician of the Academy of San Luca in Rome. The following year he published the historical booklet La xilografia in Rome. Between 1924-1925 he frescoed the Crucifix for the chapel to the fallen in the collegiate church of San Ginesio in Macerata; also in 1925 he started the decoration of the chapel of San Francesco in the church of the Saint in Padua; the following year he created the stained glass window and the mosaic for the chapel of Villa Puccini in Torre del Lago. He died in Rome on 7 February 1928.