Marco De Gregorio was born in Resina in 1829. Initially he attended the school of craftsmen exhibiting at the Bourbon Exhibition of 1848; he then passed to the Royal Institute of Fine Arts in Naples under the guidance of Camillo Guerra. He started his artistic career as a history painter; this is also evident from the works presented at the Bourbon exhibitions: Moses defending the Jewish maidens (1851), Galileo Galilei and Portrait of an army officer in full uniform (1859), who gave him the silver medal. The following year he participated in the Garibaldi enterprise fighting on the Volturno alongside Michele Tedesco and Francesco Lojacono, who joined the Resina school founded by De Gregorio and Federico Rossano after the Unification. In 1863 he tied himself to Cecioni who was in Naples for the pensioner. Through him he came into contact with the Macchiaioli. This partnership is also attested by the Portrait of Adriano Cecioni who sculpted The Suicide of 1866 and by the Studio of a sculptor of 1868, which depicts Cecioni engaged in the realization of the bas-relief A visit to the sepulcher. From 1862 to 1876 he assiduously participated in the Promoter's exhibitions: in 1862 he exhibited A Volunteer After the War of 1859; in 1863 Aspromonte and La vendemmia; in 1864 The end of a man of principles (purchased by the Municipality of Naples and now dispersed) and The worker and the seducer; in 1866 he made a trip to Rome, from where he sent kindergartens, in 1867 he presented an Interior and The village festival. In 1868 he became a partner of the Promoter and moved to Egypt until 1971. Here, on behalf of the viceroy, he painted the curtain of the Cairo theater. Back in Italy, Marco De Gregorio moved to Florence and then to Paris. Here he made the acquaintance of the Florentine merchant Luigi Pisani and Goupil, for whom he produced most of the orientalist paintings taken from photos and sketches made in the Egyptian period. In 1873 he participated in the Vienna Exposition and created the Arab Market, Strada di Resina, La Favorita in Portici, Zappatore and Contadino di Somma. In the same year with the other painters of Resina, he collaborated with "The artistic newspaper" founded by Cecioni. The last public appearances on the occasion of the Neapolitan Promoter date back to 1873 and 1975. Marco De Gregorio died in Naples in 1876.