Born in Livorno in March 1826. He is a pupil in Florence, together with his brother Felice, of the Austro-Hungarian landscape painter Károly Markó the Elder. In 1848 he volunteered for the First War of Independence, fighting in Curtatone and Montanara and in 1849 to defend the Roman Republic. Returning to Florence in the same year, he frequented the Michelangelo café, bonding with Telemaco Signorini, Vito D’Ancona and Angiolo Tricca. Also in 1849 he exhibited two Roman landscapes (dispersed) at the Florentine Promoter; presents two other paintings by the same subject to the Promoter of the following year. Between 1850 and 1860 he painted with his brother in the countryside around Florence and on the shores of Lake Albano. In 1854, together with his brother, Lorenzo Gelati, the brothers Andreas and Károly the Younger Markò and Carlo Ademollo he founded the school of Staggia. At the Florentine Promoter of 1855 he presented four landscapes of the Tuscan countryside; in July of the same year, on the occasion of the Universal Exposition, he went to Paris for several months. Here he attended the studios of Constant Troyon, Oscar-Raymond Bonheur and Alexandre-Gabriel Decamps. Returning to Florence between 1855 and 1856, he divulges the new results of French painting. In the same year, his brother Felice left Italy to settle in London. His best works date back to this period, such as the Landscape of the National Gallery of Modern Art in Rome (1855-1856), exhibited at the Florentine Promoter of 1859 with the title Una pastura; followed by Landscape with grazing cows (1858), The wheat harvest in Castiglioncello (1859), The pasture (around 1860) of the National Gallery of Modern Art in Florence, The pasture of the Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art in Turin (1860 ) and Portico of a Tuscan villa (1861). In 1861 he participated in the first national exhibition in Florence with four Tuscan views; in 1862 at the 21st exhibition of the Turin Fine Arts Promotion Society with three paintings. The following year he moved first to Paris, where he took part in the Exposition of the "refused" with two paintings, then, in 1862, to London, where he met his brother Felice. Among the works of the London period, largely lost, are A Prato a Londra, exhibited at the Florentine Promoter of 1876, and Letter to the mother (around 1864), which arrived in 1895 in the Galleria d’Arte Moderna in Milan. In 1866 he exhibited L’innocenza at the Genoa Promoting Society (Genoa, Ligustica Academy of Fine Arts), at the exhibition of the British Institution Florentine girl and in the same year at the Royal Society Rest after dance. A Roman peasant and The Roman countryside. Again, in 1867, he exhibited The Black Messenger and Nello Warwickshire at the Royal Society. In the years 1867, 1868 and 1869 he exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts in London. In 1873 he returned to Paris, to remain there almost continuously until 1890. Here he frequented Edgard Degas (probably known in Florence between 1855 and 1856), the French artists of the Nouvelle Athènes café and the circle of Italians in Paris, such as Giovanni Boldini, Giuseppe De Nittis, Diego Martelli, Federico Zandomeneghi, Giuseppe Palizzi, Cristiano Banti and Vito D'Ancona. The Borders of the Seine and the ancient weir in Bougival date back to the Parisian production. In 1878 he participated in the Universal Exposition in Paris; the following year he exhibited at the Parisian Salon Late Summer Mornings on the banks of the Seine and the Mediterranean fishing boat. In 1880 Laundresses on the Seine was exhibited and awarded at the Parisian Salon; in the same year he presents two French landscapes at the National Exhibition of Fine Arts in Turin (including L 'antica pescata a Bougival). In 1881 he participated in the National Exhibition of Fine Arts in Milan with two paintings (including La Senna a Marly). In 1884 he presented A Marly at the Italian General Exposition in Turin and in 1889 he obtained a bronze medal at the Universal Exposition in Paris. In 1890 he definitively returned to Florence, where the following year he exhibited at the Society of Fine Arts. Also in 1891 he took part in the first triennial exhibition of the Real Accademia di Brera. He died in Florence on November 1, 1892.